A mom and her son were found dead inside their Orleans County home Wednesday night, and authorities are still trying to figure out the exact cause of death.
The bodies of 38-year-old Joan Gilman and her son, 14-year-old Richard Gilman Jr., were found by firefighters after they were called to their home in Kendall. The home had been without electricity for several days, and the two were using propane-run appliances and a portable generator for power. One neighbor, Cheryl Harper, told Spectrum News that the portable generator had been running for days.
“I didn’t really know what was going on, I didn’t even think to go over and check,” Harper said. “It’s horrible, it’s just awful to think that they were going through that and we were right here. I wish they asked for help or something.”
The two bodies have been taken to the Monroe County Medical Examiner’s office to determine the official cause of their deaths. Police have not ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning as a factor.